When Building Android App from React Native CLI, I got error:
> Task :app:transformClassesAndResourcesWithR8ForRelease R8 is the new Android code shrinker. If you experience any issues, please file a bug at https://issuetracker.google.com, using 'Shrinker (R8)' as component name. You can disable R8 by updating gradle.properties with 'android.enableR8=false'. Current version is: 1.4.94 (build 390954928f0db9c3b888a367f7f128ce3bbfb160 from go/r8bot (luci-r8-ci-archive-0-5g74)). D8: Attribute Signature requires InnerClasses attribute. Check -keepattributes directive. > Task :app:transformClassesAndResourcesWithR8ForRelease FAILED FAILURE: Build failed with an exception. * What went wrong: Execution failed for task ':app:transformClassesAndResourcesWithR8ForRelease'. > com.android.tools.r8.CompilationFailedException: Compilation failed to complete
Removing build files and caches
cd adnroid && ./gradlew clean ./gradlew assembleRelease cd ..
It is the easiest way for the most of build failures, yet in my case it didn’t work.
Sync Project With Gradle File in Android studio
Open the project in Android Studio and click “Sync Project With Gradle File” button. Since I deleted node_modules and yarn.lock for previus iOS build failure, I thought I might have to sync my gradle file again.
It didn’t work.
Since, I removed and reinstalled dependencies, I ran
It didn’t make build successful.
Build error seems to be related to R8, so I manually added
android.enableR8 = false to android/gradle.properties file.
Yet I encountered another build error:
FAILURE: Build failed with an exception. * What went wrong: Execution failed for task ':app:transformClassesWithDexBuilderForRelease'. > com.android.build.api.transform.TransformException: java.lang.ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException
Downgrade Google Services Version
The latest dependency I added was things related to firebase-analytics. So I tried to check whether some of versions might not working with react-native project.
So I commented each dependencies related to firebase, and test building. I found that “google-services” is the curprit. Downgrading “google-services version from 4.3.2 to 4.3.1 solved my build error.